Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kevin Smith

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    A review of Jay and Silent Bob in the Irish times I thought you guys would enjoy...

    Can you act? Direct? Write? No? Well, you may have a carear in movies ahead of you. Just look at Kevin Smith, This is the preternaturally untalented autheur's fifth film and if anything he's getting worse. As the titular airheads make their way across the US we are subjected to a clumsy farrago of fart jokes, pop-culture referances and drug chatter. Hopeless.

    See still hope for you Thousanth!

    ------------------
    Watch your back Mr Jordan!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Watch your mouth Skin! I can write, I mean I'm doing that right now.
    Didn't we just have a Kevin Smith bash thread like two weeks ago? I don't like most of his stuff, including Jay and Silent Bob, but Dogma was good.



    ------------------
    "Welcome to the Black Lagoon - Please wipe your feet."

  3. #3
    Inactive Member LAmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2000
    Posts
    301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    He shouldn't be a director. He is quite terrible. I hate all his movies except Clerks. Clerks is acctually one of my top 15 favorite movies. I really do think that film of his was really brilliant and original. But after Clerks, he became a total sell-out and began making shit films aimed at Generation-X, teen, marijuana smoking losers.

    Clerks was clever and smart; that's the thing. All his other movies were absolutly mindless for mindless people.

    I do have respect for him as a film maker, but I despise the movies he makes.

    -Ivan

    ------------------
    "A place for everything and everything in it's place".

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Gwailofilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 4th, 2000
    Posts
    161
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My twopennorth:-

    Mallrats is mindless, but fun and easily the most accessible of his movies. It was made as a cheap studio picture and that's exactly what came out.

    Chasing Amy is funny, touching and one of those movies that makes guys squirm in their seats (like High Fidelity) when they realise they are just like what they're seeing.

    Dogma was a bit pants, I'll admit, BUT it was a four-hour script cut to fit a two-hour running time. If you pick up the script it fills in so many holes left in the movie. The gologathan was still (pardon the pun) crap, though.

    I haven't seen J&SBSB yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

    Personally, I'm of the opinion (as is Smith himself) that he is a far better writer than director. The stuff he wrote for Marvel's Daredevil comic is fantastic and some of his dialogue is pure gold.

    "I bet you din't even know I wanted to be a dancer in Vegas, huh?"



    ------------------
    The future is here:-
    www.gwailofilms.co.uk

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    Kevin Smith is a talented guy. Alot more talented than the likes of Bret Ratner. As for Dogma I thought that was one of the most original movies Ive ever seen. Chasing Amy is a great movie. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was just mindless fun. I guess thats just something some people cant allow themselves to have. Thats your Loss not mine.

    Whose review was that anyway. Mikers. Jeez.

    Who cares what a paid critic has to say anyway. There parasites. They live of other peoples talent(or lack of) Get a real fuckin job. Most of them are failed writers and directors. Same goes for the music press too.

    I take it this is an Irish review. Well I guess the fact Smith made Dogma has nothing to do with it.

    Despin out.

    ------------------
    "Ive got bad feeling about this."

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree, Dogma had one of the most unconventional ideas in a looong time. I thought it was great.

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "Well I guess the fact Smith made Dogma has nothing to do with it." You'll have to explain Desp.

    Seems like not everyone thinks Smith is god afterall eh?

    ------------------
    Watch your back Mr Jordan!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Kevin who ?



    ------------------
    "Despin your Soul is Mine Pay Up!"
    Failure to Pay up will result in further action being taken which may result in your soul being Dammned eternally.

    www.5ylac.s5.com

  9. #9
    Inactive Member cash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 1999
    Posts
    360
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i have seen all of kevin smiths films and i have to say that the guy is a clever film maker. I personaily think that chasing amy was his weakest film but it was still ok. Dogma was a very well researched film and you could see that in the script.

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Inactive Member steven_craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 24th, 2001
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the style of Kev's movies is just a reflection on the characters he is potraying... i mean having some arty farty stylee on a movie with Jay and Silent Bob would be slightly wrong and out of place.. i go to see his movies not to be enlightened but to be entertained, to counter that i still would not rank Kev up there with the greats because of the one fact is that he does not push any boundaries of film making - he is a conformist

    "SNOOCHIEBOOTCHIEWOOTCHIETIME
    YA POO POO KITTY FUCKER!"

    ------------------
    Dead girl's dont say no!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •